What are the IT security policies?
What kind of computer should I buy?
All incoming CVM students are required to purchase a tablet PC. Read more about our mobile computer program and learn about how to purchase, what to get and why it is important.
Where do I buy computers on campus, software, peripherals and computer add-ons?
Any computer, software or peripheral purchase on university or research funds must be purchased and inventoried through the CVM IT office. If you have questions please contact the Director of IT, Steven Kovarik.
Purchase and support policy for computers, software, and peripheral components:
How can I get support after hours?
After-hours IT emergency help desk 294-4000
How do I set up my Iowa State email?
Forwarding email: Students via CyMail https://www.it.iastate.edu/services/cymail#email-forward
Forwarding email: Faculty via Outlook https://www.it.iastate.edu/services/exchange#leaving-isu
Email Best Practices www.it.iastate.edu/policies/exchange
How do I back up my computer?
The college offers a backup service called CrashPlan. CrashPlan will keep your computer backed up in real time, work both on and off campus (for laptops users), and can email you if your back up is not working. For pricing and more details please contact computer support at 294-0384 or email email@example.com.
What is the policy for computer and peripheral disposal? Leaving the university?
4th Year Information
Cybox - Students
If you are a student, you can keep your CyBox account for life. After you leave ISU, your CyBox account will be converted to a Box.com account with a reduced storage quota of 50GB. If you are storing more than 50GB in CyBox, this data will remain intact after your account converts from CyBox to Box.com. However, you will be unable to add new data to this Box.com account until you 1) free up space in the account to fall below the 50GB quota, or 2) migrate to a paid Box.com account with a sufficient quota.
To prepare to convert your CyBox account to a Box.com account, log in to your CyBox account and set a secondary, non-ISU email address. The semester following your departure from ISU, we will automatically change your account to log in with your non-ISU email address. At that time you will receive an email at your secondary email address with instructions on how to access your account. However, if you do not set a secondary email address, your account will be deactivated and deleted upon your departure from the University, so be sure to set your secondary email account.
- Login to CyBox.
- Click the "gear" in the top right corner next to your name.
- Click Account Settings.
- Under the heading "Login and Email Addresses", select Add more emails.
- Enter your non-ISU email address into the box that appears.
- Click Save.
Note: If you already have another Box account set up with this email address you will receive an error and need to choose a separate email address.
If you have any questions, please contact the Solution Center at 515-294-4000, firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by in person in 192 Parks Library.
CyMail - Students - Leaving Iowa State
After you graduate or leave Iowa State, your CyMail account remains active for one semester before being suspended. It is then suspended for a semester, then expires. You can transition from your CyMail account by forwarding messages from your CyMail account to a different e-mail account, or by migrating to an Alumni Association Account. To forward e-mails from your CyMail account to another e-mail account:
Follow the standard Gmail forwarding instructions.
Forwarding will end when your CyMail account expires.
To migrate to an Alumni Association Account
You must migrate your account before the suspension period begin
- Fill out the Alumni Association account request form
- Enable forwarding in CyMail:
- Log into CyMail
- Click the gear icon
- Click Settings
- Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab
- Check Enable POP for all mail (even mail that has already been downloaded) in the POP Download section.
- Select Save and sign out of CyMail (Note: To use POP you must allow insecure apps)
- Go to gmail.com and sign in using the username and temporary password you received.
- Follow the prompts to change your password
- Click the blue options icon then click Mail Settings
- Click the Accounts and Import tab
- Click Add POP3 Email Account in the Check Mail Using POP3 section
- In the pop-up window, enter your CyMail address and click Next Step
- Enter your CyMail password
- Under the POP server dropdown list select pop.gmail.com and click Add Account
- On the next screen check No, then click Finish
If you select Yes, you will not be able to receive replies to your e-mails once your CyMail account expires
OneDrive - Students - Leaving Iowa State
You will have access to all of your Microsoft applications as long as your account is active. When you leave the university your account will stay active for 6 months and then will be suspended this will be when your access to OneDrive will be cut off.