Chandrashekhar (Chandru) Charavaryamath
BVSc, MVSc, PhD
Education & Certifications
- Post-doctoral Training: Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization (VIDO) and Department of Veterinary Pathology, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
- PhD, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada
- MVSc, Veterinary Microbiology, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bengaluru, India
- BVSc (DVM), University of Agricultural Sciences, Bengaluru, India
- 2016-Present: BMS 334, Biomedical Sciences II, teach section on Respiratory Physiology and Histology
Research Focus & Interests
- Primary focus: Cell and molecular mechanisms of lung inflammation due to occupational exposure to swine barn environment.
- Other areas of interest: host-pathogen interactions, gut mucosal immunity and pathogenesis of Johne’s disease.
Honors & Awards
- Pfizer Animal Health Graduate Student Research Award, September 2006
- Recipient of training grant from Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR)- Public Health and the Agriculture Rural Ecosystem (PHARE) training grant for PhD (CAD. 21,000x 3years= CAD. 63,000 total)
- Radio interview: VIDO Calls for More Attention to On-Farm Pollutants-C. Charavaryamath, Farmscape, November 5, 2008, Episode 3008.
- Reviewer for peer reviewed journals
- Government of India National Merit Scholarship
- Member, American Association of Anatomist (AAA): 2004-2016
- Member, Advisory Committee for Young Anatomists (ACYA), American Association of Anatomist (AAA): 2008-2011
- Member, Scientific Affairs Committee, American Association of Anatomist (AAA): 2011-2016
- Member, American Association of Veterinary Anatomist (AAVA): 2008-2016
- Griffon DJ, Cho J, Wagner JR, Charavaryamath C, Wei J, Wagoner Johnson A. Effects of Hypoxia and Chitosan on Equine Umbilical Cord-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells. Stem Cells Int. 2016;2016:2987140. doi: 10.1155/2016/2987140. Epub 2016 Jun 9.
- Novakovic P*, Charavaryamath C*, Moshynskyy I, Lockerbie B, Kaushik RS, Loewen ME, Kidney BA, Stuart C, Simko E. Evaluation of inhibition of F4ac positive Escherichia coli attachment with xanthine dehydrogenase, butyrophilin, lactadherin and fatty acid binding protein. BMC Vet Res. 2015 Sep 15; 11(1):238. doi: 10.1186/s12917-015-0528-0. (* both are equal contribution first authors).
- Charavaryamath C, Gonzalez-Cano P, Fries P, Gomis S, Doig K, Scruten E, Potter A, Napper S, Griebel PJ: Host Responses to Persistent Mycobacterium avium subspecies paratuberculosis infection in surgically isolated bovine ileal segments. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2013 Feb; 20(2):156-65. doi: 10.1128/CVI.00496-12. Epub 2012 Dec 5.
- Duke-Novakovski T, Singh-Suri S, Kajikawa O, Caldwell S, Charavaryamath C, Singh B: Immuno-phenotypic and functional characterization of rabbit pulmonary intravascular macrophages. Cell Tissue Res. 2013 Jan; 351(1):149-60. doi: 10.1007/s00441-012-1509-2. Epub 2012 Oct 17.
- El-Hadi M, Charavaryamath C, Aebischer A, Smith CW, Shmon C, Singh B: Expression of interleukin-8 and intercellular cell adhesion molecule-1 in the synovial membrane and cranial cruciate ligament of dogs after rupture of the ligament. Can J Vet Res. 2012 Jan;76(1):8-15.
- Janardhan KS, Charavaryamath C, Aulakh GK, Singh B: Integrin beta3 is not critical for neutrophil recruitment in a mouse model of pneumococcal pneumonia. Cell Tissue Res. 2012, 348(1):177-187.
- Charavaryamath C, Fries P, Gomis S, Bell C, Doig K, Guan LL, Potter A, Napper S, Griebel PJ: Mucosal changes in a long-term bovine intestinal segment model following removal of ingesta and microflora. Gut Microbes. 2011, 2(3):134-144.
- Charavaryamath C, Lemieux H, Singh Suri S, Selvakumar P, Sharma RK, Singh B: Expression and activities of N-myristoyltransferase and calcineurin in normal and inflamed lungs. Exp Lung Res. 2009, 35(9):729-747.
- Charavaryamath C, Keet T, Aulakh GK, Townsend HG, Singh B: Lung responses to secondary endotoxin challenge in rats exposed to pig barn air. J Occup Med Toxicol. 2008, 3:24.
- Charavaryamath C, Juneau V, Suri SS, Janardhan KS, Townsend H, Singh B: Role of Toll-like receptor 4 in lung inflammation following exposure to swine barn air. Exp Lung Res. 2008, 34(1):19-35.
- Gamage LN, Charavaryamath C, Swift TL, Singh B: Lung inflammation following a single exposure to swine barn air. J Occup Med Toxicol. 2007, 2:18.
- Shrivastav A, Sharma AR, Bajaj G, Charavaryamath C, Ezzat W, Spafford P, Gore Hickman R, Singh B, Copete MA, Sharma RK: Elevated N-myristoyltransferase activity and expression in oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oncol Rep. 2007, 18(1):93-97.
- Charavaryamath C, Janardhan KS, Caldwell S, Singh B: Pulmonary intravascular monocytes/macrophages in a rat model of sepsis. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol. 2006, 288(12):1259-1271.
- Lakshmikuttyamma A, Selvakumar P, Charavaryamath C, Singh B, Tuchek J, Sharma RK: Expression of calcineurin and its interacting proteins in epileptic fowl. J Neurochem. 2006, 96(2):366-373.
- Charavaryamath C, Singh B: Pulmonary effects of exposure to pig barn air. J Occup Med Toxicol. 2006, 1:10.
- Selvakumar P, Lakshmikuttyamma A, Charavaryamath C, Singh B, Tuchek J, Sharma RK: Expression of myristoyltransferase and its interacting proteins in epilepsy. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2005, 335(4):1132-1139.
- Charavaryamath C, Janardhan KS, Townsend HG, Willson P, Singh B: Multiple exposures to swine barn air induce lung inflammation and airway hyper-responsiveness. Respir Res. 2005, 6:50.
- Selvakumar N, Srinivas D, Khera MK, Kumar MS, Mamidi RN, Sarnaik H, Charavaryamath C, Rao BS, Raheem MA, Das J et al: Synthesis of conformationally constrained analogues of linezolid: structure-activity relationship (SAR) studies on selected novel tricyclic oxazolidinones. J Med Chem. 2002, 45(18):3953-3962.
- Charavaryamath C, Puttabyatappa B, Krishnappa G and Venkatesha MD. Bacteriological aspects of canine pyoderma in Canines. INTAS POLYVET. 2: 100-102, 2001.
- Charavaryamath C, Puttabyatappa B, Krishnappa G and Umesh KG. Immunological aspects staphylococcal pyoderma in canines. Indian J Comp Microbiol Immunol Infect Dis. 22: 67-68, 2001. Note: Publications # 19 and 20 are not listed in PubMed (reprints available).