- BS (Biology, Biological Anthropology): Duke University, 2005
- DVM: North Carolina State University, 2011
- Small Animal Rotating Internship: Ohio State University, 2012
- Cardiology Residency: North Carolina State University, 2015
- Diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Cardiology), 2015
- VCS 475: Clinical cardiology elective rotation
- VCS 444: Small animal medicine
- VCS 403: Clinical cardiology elective course
- Small animal clinical cardiology
- Point-of-care ultrasound for the emergency diagnosis of congestive heart failure
- Cardiovascular effects of glucocorticoids (steroids)
- Scholarship of teaching and learning
- Zoetis Distinguished Veterinary Teacher Award, August 2019
- Iowa State University Award for Early Achievement in Teaching, April 2019
- SAVMA Award for Teaching Excellence in Clinical Sciences, April 2019
- Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine Award for Early Achievement in Teaching, April 2018
- Faculty Work/Life Advisory Committee
- Specialty college:
- ACVIM Cardiology Research Committee
- Department (Veterinary Clinical Sciences):
- House Officer Committee (Chair)
- Research Committee (Member)
- Departmental Advisory Committee (Member)
- Clinical Year Education Program Visiting Scholar Committee (Member)
- International Veterinary Education Committee (Member)
- Ophthalmology Faculty Search Committee (Member)
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Iowa Veterinary Medical Association
- American College of Cardiology
For a full listing of publications, please follow link to Dr. Ward's Google Scholar profile
Tinklenberg RL, Murphy SD, Mochel JP, Seo YJ, Mahaffey AL, Yan Y, Ward JL. Dose-responsive effects of oral short-term prednisone therapy on clinicopathologic and hemodynamic variables in healthy dogs. Am J Vet Res 2020;81:317-325.
Ward JL, Lisciandro GR, Ware WA, Miles KG, Viall AK, DeFrancesco TC. Lung ultrasound findings in 100 dogs with various etiologies of cough. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2019;255:574-583.
Khelik IA, Berger DJ, Mochel JL, Seo YJ, Palerme JS, Ware WA, Ward JL. Clinicopathologic, hemodynamic, and echocardiographic effects of short-term oral administration of anti-inflammatory doses of prednisolone to systemically normal cats. Am J Vet Res 2019;80:743-755.
Ward JL, Marcketti SB. The effect of graphic organizers on learning outcomes, study efficiency, and student satisfaction in an elective veterinary cardiology course. J Vet Med Educ 2019;46:353-366.
Ward JL, McLaughlin AC, Burzette R, Keene BW. The effect of a surgical safety checklist on major complication rates associated with permanent transvenous pacemaker implantation in dogs. J Vet Cardiol 2019;22:72-83.
Ward JL, Ware WA, Viall AK. Association between atrial fibrillation and right-sided manifestations of congestive heart failure in dogs with degenerative mitral valve disease or dilated cardiomyopathy. J Vet Cardiol 2019;21:18-27.
Ward JL, Lisciandro GR, Ware WA, Viall AK, Aona BD, Kurtz KA, Reina-Doreste Y, DeFrancesco TC. Evaluation of point-of-care thoracic ultrasound and NT-proBNP for the diagnosis of congestive heart failure in cats with respiratory distress. J Vet Intern Med 2018;32:1530-1540.
Ward JL, Lisciandro GR, DeFrancesco TD. Distribution of alveolar-interstitial syndrome in dogs and cats with respiratory distress as assessed by lung ultrasound versus thoracic radiographs. J Vet Emerg Crit Care 2018;28:415-428.
Masters AK, Berger DJ, Ware WA, Langenfeld NR, Coetzee JF, Mochel JP, Ward JL. Effects of short-term anti-inflammatory glucocorticoid treatment on clinicopathologic, echocardiographic, and hemodynamic variables in systemically healthy dogs. Am J Vet Res 2018;79:411-423.
Ward JL, Lisciandro GR, Keene BW, Tou SP, DeFrancesco TC. Accuracy of point-of-care lung ultrasound for the diagnosis of cardiogenic pulmonary edema in dogs and cats with acute dyspnea. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2017;250(6):666-675.