The Ohio State University, Wooster, Ohio. 3/2003
Doctor of Philosophy (Veterinary Microbiology)
The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio. 1/1998
Master of Science (Veterinary Microbiology)
University of Ankara, Ankara, Turkey. 6/1993
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
Diplomate of The American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (2008)
VDPAM 488 - Clinical Microbiology Rotation, Co-instructor
VDPAM 625 - Bacterial Pathogenesis, Guest lecturer
Molecular diagnostic of bacterial pathogens; Food safety and antimicrobial resistance; Epidemiology, pathogenesis, genomics, and control of bacterial pathogens of importance to animal health, food safety and public health; Campylobacter
- Diplomate of The American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (ACVM), certified in Bacteriology/Mycology specialty (2008).
- Recipient of a scholarship award from Ministry of Education of Turkey for master and Ph.D. studies in the United States. (1995-2003)
- Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center (OARDC) Annual Conference Poster Award, second place. 2001
- Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases (CRWAD), Poster Award in Comparative Gastroenterology, first place. 1999.
- ISU VDL Bacteriology Section Leader
- Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases (CRWAD), Program Committee Member, Moderator
- American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD), Moderator; Member of Bacteriology and Antimicrobial Susceptibility subcommittees; Co-chair, Bacteriology and Mycology Subcommittee
- FDA Vet-LIRN, faculty representative of ISU Vet Med
- NC-1202 (Enteric Diseases of Food Animals: Enhanced Prevention, Control and Food Safety). NCRA (The North Central Regional Association), Iowa Agriculture and Home Economics Experiment Station, Multistate Research Project, ISU representative; Secretary-elect
- American College of Veterinary Microbiologists (ACVM), Graduate Students Awards Committee member.
- ISU Interdepartmental Micro (IM), Admission Committee member.
- ISU Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC), alternate member.
- Ad-hoc peer reviewer for research proposals submitted to many different institutions
- Editorial Board Member (Avian Diseases, Frontiers in Microbiology)
- Ad-hoc peer reviewer for manuscripts submitted to many different scientific journals
American Society for Microbiology (ASM), 2001-present.
Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases (CRWAD), 1999-present.
American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians (AAVLD), 2010-present.
Iowa Veterinary Medical Association (IVMA), 2018-present.
Iowa State University, Antimicrobial Resistance Consortium, Representative, Diagnostic Core Unit, 2017-present.
Delta Chapter of Phi Zeta, the international honor society of veterinary medicine, 2003-present.
International Organization for Mycoplasmology (IOM), 2015- present.
Mehmet Cemal Adiguzel, Alper Baran, Zuowei Wu, Seyda Cengiz, Lei Dai, Cihan Oz, Esma Ozmenli, Debora Goulart, Orhan Sahin*. 2020. Prevalence of colistin resistance in Escherichia coli in eastern Turkey and genomic characterization of an mcr-1 positive strain from retail chicken meat. Microbial Drug Resistance. DOI: 10.1089/mdr.2020.0209
Lei Dai, Jing Xia, Orhan Sahin, Qijing Zhang 2019. Identification of a nth‐like Gene encoding an Endonuclease III in Campylobacter jejuni. Front Microbiol. 10: 698. https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2019.00698.
Henthorn CR, Minion FC, Sahin O*. 2018. Utilization of Macrophage Extracellular Trap Nucleotides by Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae. Microbiology, 164:1394-1404. *Corresponding author and Major Professor of the graduate student (CRH).
Gregory M, Brianna Klein, Sahin O, and George Girgis. 2018. Isolation and Characterization of Campylobacter hepaticus from Layer Chickens with Spotty Liver Disease in the United States. Avian Dis. 62(1):79-85.
Tang Y, *Sahin O, Pavlovic N, LeJeune J, Carlson J, Wu Z, Dai L, and *Zhang Q. 2017. Rising fluoroquinolone resistance in Campylobacter isolated from feedlot cattle in the United States. Sci Rep. 29:7 (1). *Co-corresponding authors.
Sahin O*, Samantha A. Terhorst*, Eric R. Burrough, Zhangqi Shen, Zuowei Wu, Lei Dai, Paul J. Plummer, Michael J. Yaeger, and Qijing Zhang. 2017. Key role of capsular polysaccharide in the induction of systemic infection and abortion by hypervirulent Campylobacter jejuni. Infect Immun. 85 (6): e00001-17. *Equally contributed.
Sahin O, Yaeger M, Wu Z, and Zhang Q. Campylobacter-associated diseases in animals. 2017. Annu Rev Anim Biosci. 8(5): 21-42. (Invited review article).
Wu Z., P. Periaswamy, O. Sahin, M. Yaeger, P. Plummer, W. Zhai, Z. Shen, L. Dai, S. L. Chen, and Q. Zhang. 2016. Point mutations in the major outer membrane protein drive hypervirulence of a rapidly expanding clone of Campylobacter jejuni. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 113 (38):10690-95.
Sahin O, Zhangqi Shen, and Qijing Zhang. 2017. Methods to study antimicrobial resistance in Campylobacter jejuni. Methods Mol Biol. 1512:29-42 (invited article).
Sahin O, Paul J. Plummer, Kapllan Sulaj, Sonia Pereira, Suelee Robbe-Austerman, Dianna M. Jordan, Liping Wang, Michael J. Yaeger, Lorraine J. Hoffman and Qijing Zhang. 2008. Emergence of a Tetracycline-resistant Campylobacter jejuni Clone Associated with Outbreaks of Ovine Abortion in the United States. J Clin Microbiol. 46, 1663-1671.