- MS, Veterinary Clinical Sciences, 1986, Ohio State University Columbus, OH
- DVM, Veterinary Medicine, 1982, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
- BA, Music, 1975, Westminster Choir College, Princeton, NJ
- 1986-Present Didactic Instructor, VCS 444, Small Animal Medicine
1987-1988 Didactic Instructor, VCS 445, Large Animal Medicine
2006-Present Didactic Instructor, VCS 402, Clinical Cardiology elective
1991-1993, 1999, 2002 Didactic Instructor, VCS 407, Feline Medicine elective: Dyspnea
2010-2011 Didactic Instructor, VCS 440, Introduction to Clinics
1988-1989 Didactic Instructor, VPP 361, Pharmacology
1995&1999-2003 Didactic and Laboratory Instructor, BMS(VPP) 350, Comparative Veterinary Physiology II
2004-present Didactic Instructor, BMS 333, Biomedical Sciences I
1995-2003 Didactic Instructor, BMS(VPP) 355, Integrative Physiology
1994 Didactic Instructor, VPP 353, Integrative Physiology
2001 Didactic Instructor, VMPM 378, Participated as a "clinical expert" for case study
- 1987-2001 Didactic Instructor, VPath 590, Systemic Pathology – “Clinical perspectives - cardiac disease”
1992&1994 Didactic Instructor, VCS 640, Advanced Radiology – “Echocardiography”
1994&2000 Didactic Instructor, VCS 677, Advanced Medicine – “Issues in heart failure”
1999 Didactic Instructor, VCS 676, Advanced Medicine – “Issues in cardiovascular medicine”
1989-1999 Didactic Instructor, VCS 590A, Seminar in Clinical Veterinary Cardiology
2010 Didactic Instructor, VCS 590Ware, Independent Study in Cardiovascular Physiology
Neurohormonal changes in congestive heart failure (CHF), myocardial diseases, treatment strategies for CHF, echocardiographic evaluation (M-mode, 2-D, Doppler) in cardiac disease.
- Phyllis M. Clark Professorship in Cardiology, 2015- 2020
- Wakonse Fellow, 2008
- Phi Zeta Honor Society
- Kal Kan Scholarship Award, 1982
- Harwal Prize for Pharmacology, 1982
- Greater Toledo Obedience Training Club Award, 1982
- Appeals Committee, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ACVIM), member (2014-2017)
- Course Leader & Developer, ACVIM, (2014-2015)
- Constitution Committee, ACVIM, member (2011)
- Nominating Committee, ACVIM, member (2010)
- Distinguished Service Award selection committee, ACVIM, chair (2009)
- Distinguished Service Award selection committee, ACVIM, member (2010)
- Kirk Award selection committee, ACVIM, chair (2009)
- Kirk Award selection committee, ACVIM, member (2010)
- ‘Certificate of Clinical Excellence’ Awards for senior veterinary students: ISU Coordinator, ACVIM, (2009-2011)
- Elected Vice President of the College Board of Regents, ACVIM, (2004-2005)
- President-Elect of the College Board of Regents, ACVIM, (2005-2006)
- President of the College Board of Regents, ACVIM, (2006-2007)
- Chairperson, College Board of Regents, ACVIM, (2007-2008)
- Immediate Past-Chair, College Board of Regents, ACVIM, (2008-2009)
- Foundation Board of Directors, ACVIM Board Representative, Non-voting (2006-2007)
- Foundation Board of Directors, ACVIM Board Representative, Voting (2007-2008)
- Marketing Task Force, ACVIM, member, (2006-2009)
- Strategic Planning Task Force, ACVIM, member (2007)
- Future of the Forum Task Force, ACVIM, member (2007-2008)
- Education and Research Committee, ACVIM, member (2007-2008)
- Cardiology Nominating Committee, ACVIM, (1987-1990)
- Cardiology Nominating Committee, ACVIM, Chairperson (1989)
- Cardiology Examination Committee, ACVIM (1991-1994)
- Cardiology Examination Committee, ACVIM, Chairperson (1993-1994)
- Awards Committee, Phi Zeta (Gamma Chapter) (1993-1994)
- Advisor, ISU Student Chapter of the American Animal Hospital Association (1987-1991)
- American Veterinary Medical Association (1982 - present)
- American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (1986 - present)
- Iowa Veterinary Medical Association (1998, 2005 – present)
- American Heart Association (Circulation Council ’96 –’00; Basic Sciences Council ’00 – ‘04)
- Society of Phi Zeta (1982 – present)
Refereed Publications: 20 selected publications out of over 100.
- Ware WA, Reina-Doreste Y, Stern JA, Meurs KM. (2015) Sudden Death Associated with QT Interval Prolongation and KCNQ1 Gene Mutation in a Family of English Springer Spaniels. J Vet Intern Med. doi:10.1111/jvim. 12550
- Yaeger MJ, Mullin K, Ensley SM, Ware WA, Slavin RE. Myocardial Toxicity in a Group of Greyhounds Administered Ractopamine. Vet Pathol. 2012; 49(3):569-573.
- Dierenfeld AD, McEntee MF, Vogler CA, Vite CH, Passage M, Le S, Shah S, Jens JK, Snella EM, Kline KL, Parkes JD, Ware WA, Moran LE, Fales-Williams AJ, Wengert JA, Whitley RD, Betts DM, Boal AM, Riedesel EA, Gross W, Ellinwood NM, Dickson PI. Replacing the Enzyme α-l-Iduronidase at Birth Ameliorates Symptoms in the Brain and Periphery of Dogs with Mucopolysaccharidosis Type I. Science Translational Medicine 1 December 2010: Vol. 2, Issue 60, p. 60-89
- Crandell JM, Ware WA. Cardiac toxicity from phenylpropanolamine overdose in a dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2005; 41:413-420.Crandell JM, Ware WA. Cardiac toxicity from phenylpropanolamine overdose in a dog. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2005; 41:413-420.
- Sponseller BT, Ware WA. ECG of the Month (Ventricular tachyarrhythmias after barn collapse in a horse), J Am Vet Med Assoc 2002, 221:196-197.
- Nelson OL, Riedesel E, Ware WA, Christensen WF. Echocardiographic and radiographic changes associated with systemic hypertension in cats. J Vet Intern Med 2002, 16:418-425.
- Sponseller BT, Ware WA. Successful treatment of staphylococcal endocarditis in a horse. Eq Vet Educ 13:298-302, 2001
- Ware WA. Therapy for Tachyarrhythmias: New Advances. Vet Med 2001, 96:620-633.
- Ware WA. Acquired pericardial disease: What every practitioner should know. Vet Med 2001, 96:635-644.
- Magnon AL, Meurs KM, Kittleson MD, Ware WA. Single nucleotide polymorphisms in intron 5 of the feline myosin regulatory light chain gene detected by SSCP analysis. Anim Genet. 2000, 31(4):281-2.
- Meurs KM, Kittleson M, Spangler E, Ware WA, Womack JE, Towbin JA. Nine polymorphisms within the head and hinge region of the feline cardiac beta-myosin heavy chain gene. Anim Genet. 2000; 31(3):231.
- Corti LB, Merkley D, Nelson OL, Ware WA. Retrospective evaluation of occlusion of patent ductus arteriosus with Hemoclips in twenty dogs. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc, 2000, 36:548-555.
- Magnon AL, Meurs KM, Kittleson MD, Ware WA. A highly polymorphic marker identified in intron 15 of the feline cardiac troponin T gene by SSCP analysis. Animal Genetics 2000; 31:236-237.
- Ware WA, Christensen WF: Duration of the QT Interval in Healthy Cats. Am J Vet Res, 1999; 60:1426 – 1429.
- Ware WA, Hopper DL: Cardiac Tumors in Dogs: 1982 - 1995. J Vet Internal Med, 1999; 13:95-103.
- Ware WA. Twenty-four Hour Ambulatory Electrocardiography in Normal cats. J Vet Internal Med, 1999; 13:175-180.
- Ware WA. Practical Use of Holter Monitoring. Compend Contin Educ 1998; 20:167-177.
- Quinones M, Dyer DC, Ware WA, Mehvar R: Pharmacokinetics of atenolol in clinically normal cats. Am J Vet Res 1996, 57:1050-1053.
- Lehmkuhl L, Ware WA, Bonagura JD: Mitral stenosis in 12 dogs. J Vet Internal Med 1994, 8:2-17.
- Ware WA, Merkley DM, Riedesel DH: Intracardiac thyroid tumor in a dog: diagnosis and surgical removal. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 1994, 30:20-23.