Collecting and Submitting Oropharyngeal Swabs for AIV PCR
First Case of Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza in Iowa reported - April 14, 2015
To properly obtain samples for AIV PCR you will need to have BHI broth tubes, dakron/polyester swabs, scissors, and gloves as well as 5 fresh mortalities. In addition you will need a cooler, cold pack and submission form for submitting samples to the lab.
- Fisher Scientific: Pack of 10 for $38.33
- Hardy Diagnostics: Pack of 20 for $42.61
- Fisher Scientific:Case of 500 for $191.96
- Hardy Diagnostics:Case of 500 for $459.34
- For properly attaining and pooling samples, please reference this step by step video demonstrating sample collection, pooling, and packaging.
- The Center for Food Safely and Public Health also has this printable step by step guide.
- Fill out laboratory form.
- Include: Farm name, Premises ID, date and number of samples
- Place form and labeled tubes in two separate sealable bags.
- Place the bags in a cooler with cold pack.
- Ship overnight or hand deliver to:
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
Iowa State University
1850 Christensen Dr
Ames, IA 50011-1134