Specimen from 1 organ or lesion with a single diagnosis - $58
Biopsy cases include all special stains and immunohistochemical stains. The pathologist will determine the need for stains, but can discuss special diagnostic tests with the referring veterinarian.
Specimens from 2 different organs or lesions - $80
Specimens from 6+cm organs or lesions - $100
Each Additional Specimen (after first two) - $12
Decalcification - $25
- Complete Necropsy (including histopathologic exam of animal) - $110 Charges will not include microbiologic culture or toxicology testing.
Pathology services for additional testing or diagnosis will be charged a fee, based on services provided.
- Fill out the Department of Veterinary Pathology Histopathology Submission form and submit it with the specimen
- Place the biopsy specimen in a sealed wide-mouthed container with 10% neutral buffered formalin at 10-20 times the bulk of the tissue (ensure adequate fixation before shipping)
- Tighten the lid on the container and secure by wrapping with parafilm (no tape)
- Attach the formalin sticker to the container and label with the clinic, owner's name, animal's name and specimen type.
- Place the container in a plastic bag with absorbent material (e.g. paper towels) and ship in a sturdy box by the carrier of your choice to:
Department of Veterinary Pathology
2703 Veterinary Medicine
Iowa State University
Ames, IA 50011-1250
- Click here for information regarding special winter shipping instructions.
- Click here for the procedure for using cucumber slices to orientate small biopsy